Saturday, December 31, 2011

Buh-Bye 2011!!

I have made no bones about being rid of 2011!  I'm done with it and I want to bring in the year 2012 with lots of happiness.  There are goals, there are new years resolutions, there is this running thing that I finally want to get going on.  I am a very slow runner and that use to bother me.  Not no more.  Not when running was taken away from me altogether.  This past year I had a running partner and friend.  Was training for a marathon.  Building up my speed.  Putting miles in and building them up.  Then in March my running partner and I went separate ways.  I kept running, kept building up the miles and was feeling good.  Then in June I got a pretty bad glut injury and nothing was helping it.  I was miserable.  I took about two weeks off to try to get this thing to heal.  When I did start back I could still feel the pain but not as bad.  I started seeing what I could do about changing my full marathon to a half marathon.  I was doing a lot of biking and doing some low mileage runs but still thought I could make the half by September.  The end of August brought everything to a STOP!  I had went for a long bike ride then on a Sunday was due for a 7 mile run.  I ran that 7 miles (although slow) but I felt really good.  It was so hot outside too.  I felt like I could definitely do the half.  Then I started having pain in my left calf.  So much pain that the only time if felt half way good was if I was eating Advil.  I made a dr. appointment with the family doctor and he scheduled a MRI.  Also during my doctor appointment I mentioned to him that back in March my gynecologist found a nodular by my thyroid and should probably have my family doctor take a look.  Yea, I know....it's the end of August and I'm just now telling him.  So he takes a look and says he was more concerned by the swollen left lymph node and said that he will order up an ultra sound on that too but for now lets deal with the pain in the leg.  So, the Monday after Labor Day weekend I received a call from my doctor saying that I needed to head on over to the hospital to have an ultrasound done on my calf.  So, feeling pretty nervous I go over have the ultrasound to find out that I had three blood clots in that calf.  So no more running for a while for me.  I had worked all summer for nothing =(   But I kept telling myself that this was just a blip in the road and there was always next year.  It was determined that I had received these clots due to being on birth control pills since March, when I seen my gynecologist.  She had put me on these birth control pills to help with my periods.  


So I was put on Coumadin and was giving myself shots in my stomach to start, hopefully, dissolving these blood clots.  With all this pretty much under control it was time to deal with the swollen lymph node.  This was all about two weeks later.  I had the ultra sound done and it definitely showed that there was something there.  I was hooked up with a ENT that was strongly recommended and he told me that he would have to order a biopsy but was pretty certain that this would all end in me having surgery....to remove my thyroid.  So I have the biopsy and it does come back that it's cancer.  CANCER!! ME!! CANCER!! So I was scheduled for a total thyroidectomy and will be put on thyroid meds for the rest of my life.  In one sense this may seem totally bad.  And it is.  But they say if you are going to get cancer then this was the cancer you want to get because it is generally curable.  It's been a long, long sad year with the exception of my son getting married in October.  


The plan now is to tweak my thyroid meds and hopefully getting back to normal.  I have gotten slowly back into my workouts and even have done some small amount of running.  I have gotten a running plan together that hopefully will help get me built back up there.  I have so missed it and I am looking so forward to getting back out there.  


My hope is to run some 5k's, 10k's and hopefully, just hopefully be able to run that half marathon.  Maybe if all goes well I can run that marathon next year.


So now you know as to why I am so done with 2011.  My hope for 2012 is to stay healthy, keep running, and spend as much time with my family as I can.  Nobody should anything for granted because it all can change and change quickly.  


Heres to a new and wonderful year!! Happy New Year everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment