Monday, August 6, 2012

One step at a time....

That's one of my running mantras...One step at a time.  Saturday was my long run of 9 miles.  I always get nervous when it comes to my scheduled long runs.  I tell myself all sorts of things to be positive.  Such as....One step at a time.  It's only 1 mile more than last week.  No pressure you can do this.  It's usually the last 2-3 miles that I lose my train of thought and then start having self doubts.  I need to get better on the mental part of all this!  Any suggestions out there?

So, as per usual, alarm clock goes off at 5am.  After getting to bed late due to going to a concert the night before, I really thought I would be dragging.  But, surprisingly I wasn't at all.  I got up got my things together, drank my coffee, ate my banana, grabbed my G2 for after the run, my huge water bottle which I carried the whole time, my gu, and my inhaler.  We stopped at mile 4 and took a gu and drank some water and stretched.  It was by far the muggiest and warmest weather that we had ran in so far this year.  The only thing we had going for us was that it was overcast.  After we took our gu and water break we headed back out into a nice steady pace.  At about miles 5 and 7 we took another short water and stretch break then finished out the last 2 miles.  Though I really don't like to stop,  even if it is for just a min., we both were glad we did considering how hot and humid it was.  My foot did really well and didn't really bother me till closer to the end.  

Once I got home I took a quick ice bath then iced my foot and then put its brace on.  My body was just completely beat!!  I felt good but my body just felt drained from the heat and humidity.  

What do some of you tell yourself to get you through a long run?  Also, what are some things you do a couple days out to prepare for your long run?  Example:  hydration, food, rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment