Saturday, July 28, 2012

Saturday Long run and great weather

For my half marathon training schedule, Saturdays are for my long runs.  So far these scheduled long runs haven't been too bad weather wise.   Today was 8 miles and again, the weather was perfect.  Considering how hot and humid it has been lately come Saturdays they haven't been too bad.  This mornings run started off a nice 66 degrees and a little overcast which is perfect!  The dew point was still up there a little bit for my liking but not hateful.  

The morning started with a 5am wake up call, coffee, and a half of banana.  I left my house right at 6:10 to meet my running homie, Janice.  We walked for a 15min warm up then set off at a good pace.  The first 4 miles were just a bit fast and seemed a lithe rough.  At our turn around point I took a minute to stretch my foot and legs then we took off again.  The last 4 miles we purposely went a little slower and for whatever reason these 4 miles really flew by.  By the end of the run and even after my foot was pretty darn sore.  Usually it gets sore towards the end but once we stop it feels better but not this time. It stayed pretty sore even after we ere done.  At times throughout the run I let my head get the better of me and I have thoughts like...this is rough, how can I do 13.1 if 8 is like this?  What if I fail?  What if I have to walk most of it?  And on and on  Is this normal?  Each week the long run gets longer and each week I doubt myself.  Each week though I still get it done.  Yes it's slow but I get it done.  I hope to one day be just a little bit faster and until then I need to be okay with my speed.   I'm not a speedster any way!!  

Now I'm icing and then foam rolling and then it's off to enjoy the rest of my day with my girls and later we will be going to see this little girl!! I love being her Nana!!


No comments:

Post a Comment